If The O's Play the Wild Card Game, Who Do You Want to Pitch?

Aristotelian

If The O's Play the Wild Card Game, Who Do You Want to Pitch?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. If The O's Play the Wild Card Game, Who Do You Want to Pitch?

• Gausman. Go with the hottest hand.
    • Tillman. Our most consistent, winningest pitcher over the course of the season.
    • Bundy. Most dominating when on.
    • Someone else. DD may still make a trade.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is obviously a follow-on from the other thread. For me it boils down to whether Tillman is healthy. If he's suffering no ill effects from his shoulder, than he's the guy I want on the mound. Quite honestly, though, it depends on what happens over the next five weeks. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season to change people's minds.

I'd pitch Bundy for 2-3, Gausman for 2-3, Tillman (if healthy) for 2-3.

Then go top bullpen guys (Brach, Britton, O'Day (if healthy))

I like the all hands on deck option but I went with Bundy. Just a gut feeling. Tillman wasn't great in 2014. Not quite ready to trust Gausman.

Their stats are remarkably similar.

Tillman 3.76 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 7/4 K/9, 3.4 BB/9, 1.1 HR/9

Bundy 3.71 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 8.1 K/9, 3.1 BB/9, 1.4 HR/9

Gausman 3.73 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 9.0 K/9, 2.4 BB/9, 1.5 HR/9

Right now? Gausman. He's been the most consistently good pitcher of the three (recently). Tillman I think you have to wait and see how he pitches when he comes back in a few weeks. Bundy I worry about getting a tired arm. He's had a few clunkers against NYY and Bos, which I am attributing to him wearing down a bit. Not a knock on him, he just hasn't pitched much the last few years, and is nearing the end of a long season.

Let me also say this. Barring injury (Tillman's shoulder worries me), I am very pleased with the prospect of Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy being our top three rotation starters next season.

I'd look at it from the other end of the ballgame.

I want Britton for 2 innings, and maybe Brach too.

If O'Day's operational, I want 1 from him.

I want Givens in any middle inning 3 righties are due up.

Assuming one of Tillman, Gausman or Bundy pitches a meaningful game 162 Sunday, I'm looking to piggyback the other two for 4-5 innings and looking at Miley as a LOOGY or the emergency guy if the game's still going in the 10th or 11th inning.

I'd be at peace losing the wildcard game late with someone terrible on the mound as long as all our best pitchers have worked.

I'm also going with Tillman, but any of these 3 is fine depending on rest. Ideally, all 3 are available. Bundy has worked effectively out of the pen so the staff may be strongest if he is available in relief.

Caveat, Tillman depends on how he returns from the DL.

If it's a dog fight to even win a wild card birth then this will be a moot point because Buck will pitch his best guys to secure the spot. Having said that I think you have to go with Tillman. He is the veteran and I trust him.

Of the three, Tilly, Bundy and Gasman, it will also boil down, to, who has the most rest and schedule to throw that day.

Moving any of these days up a day earlier, doesn't make too much sense. At least IMO.

Archived